Statement of Commitment
Elvium Life Sciences is committed to providing its goods and services, and to providing employment opportunities, in an equitable manner, respecting the dignity and independence of persons with disabilities, and promoting integration and equal opportunity without discrimination. Elvium will use reasonable efforts to adhere to this commitment, providing accommodation where required and in a timely manner, but the intent is not to cause undue hardship to the organization.
This Policy applies to all individuals who do business with Elvium, whether as employees, contractors, consultants, customers or otherwise, and to any individual or organization that provides goods, services or facilities to the public or other third parties on behalf of Elvium regardless of the province in which they may reside.
All services, programs, goods and facilities will be available to any individual (employee, customer, third party provider, etc.) with a disability in a manner that:
- is free from discrimination;
- provides accessible formats and communication supports;
- seeks to provide integrated services;
- provides an opportunity equitable to others to provide or obtain, use and benefit from the goods or services and/or employment opportunities, and;
- takes into consideration a person’s disability.
Definition of Disability
“Disability” is defined under the AODA and this Policy as:
- any degree of physical disability, infirmity, malformation or disfigurement that is caused by bodily injury, birth defect or illness and, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, includes diabetes mellitus, epilepsy, a brain injury, any degree of paralysis, amputation, lack of physical co-ordination, blindness or visual impediment, deafness or hearing impediment, muteness or speech impediment, or physical reliance on a guide dog or other animal or on a wheelchair or other remedial appliance or device, a condition of mental impairment or a developmental disability;
- a learning disability or a dysfunction in one or more of the processes involved in understanding or using symbols or spoken language;
- a mental disorder; or
- an injury or disability for which benefits were claimed or received under the insurance plan established under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997.
It is important to note that a disability may or not be visible.
Elvium is committed to excellence in serving all customers, including people with disabilities. In the context of the following, a customer may also include an employee or third-party provider so long as such accommodation does not cause undue hardship to Elvium Life Sciences.
This commitment is demonstrated in the following areas:
Elvium will support people who need to use their own personal assistive devices to access our goods and use our services. A personal assistive device is a tool, technology or other mechanism that enables a person with a disability to do everyday tasks and activities, such as moving, communicating or lifting and includes, but is not limited to, wheelchairs and teletypewriters (TTY) which allow callers to send typed messages across phone lines, hearing aids, computer software, etc.
Notice of Temporary Disruptions
If, in order to obtain, use or benefit from Elvium’s goods or services, persons with disabilities are required to utilize Elvium’s facility and if there is a temporary disruption in those facilities or services in whole or in part, Elvium will give notice of the disruption to the public, outlining the reason of the disruption and anticipated duration. Notice may be posted at a conspicuous location on the premises, on Elvium’s external and internal websites, and through any other reasonable methods.
Accessible Formats and Communication Supports
Elvium shall, upon request, and in consultation with the person making the request, provide or make arrangements to provide accessible formats and communication supports for persons with disabilities in a timely manner, taking into account the individual’s accessibility requirements.
“Accessible formats” may include, but are not limited to, large print, recorded audio and electronic formats, braille and other formats usable by persons with disabilities.
This applies to general communications and information, as well as emergency procedure plans. It also applies to workplace information (job descriptions, performance management tools, etc.). This does not apply to products and product labels, unconvertible information or communications, and information that Elvium does not control directly or indirectly through a contractual relationship. If Elvium determines that information or communications are unconvertible, Elvium shall provide the person requesting the
information or communication with:
- an explanation as to why the information or communications are unconvertible; and
- a summary of the unconvertible information or communications.
Elvium will take steps to make all new websites and content on those sites comply with World Wide Web Consortium – Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0, Level A and Level AA. In addition, all existing websites will be updated to meet accessibility requirements according to requirements.
Feedback on this Policy
Elvium is committed to receiving and responding to feedback about the manner in which it implements this Policy. Comments regarding how well these expectations are being met are welcome and appreciated. Any individual to whom this Policy applies is expected to formally communicate feedback to the Human Resources Department.
MODIFICATIONS TO THIS OR OTHER POLICIES
Elvium is committed to developing company policies that respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities. Therefore, no changes will be made to this Policy or other policies before considering the impact on people with disabilities. Any policy of Elvium Life Sciences that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed. Elvium will review this Policy for compliance every five (5) years, or as changes to the underlying legislation so require.